Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cooperative Learning

After our session this week in Sharon's class where we evaluated our "Essential Nine" Strategies, I spent some time thinking how valuable the students' cooperative learning was during my work sample.
While watching TV this morning, I got fired up about introducing some current media culture in my art classes. Doing a group project geared toward marketing a product or advocacy would perhaps get the students to relate art to their lives. After our PE Health workshop, a marketing campaign in a health related topic could have multiple benefits, maybe?
A cooperative project like this would have kids brainstorming, thumbnailing, sketching, storyboarding, and maybe using photography, digitizing images, making videos..........ok, here we go!!
Benefits:
1)Students would get to experience the process of illustrating concepts and written materials, and see that art is not just painting and drawing, but literally multimedia.
2)Students would be drawing inspiration from pertinent issues related to their lives.
3)Potential cross curriculum with health, social studies, language arts. (math??)
4)Shift their focus from "just making images with a drawing tool" to evoking responses from an audience.
5)Beats a poster project all to pieces
6)Students get ownership of project: media, presentation, topic, etc.
7)Students will create their own rubric, do self assessment

Whoooo hoooo...........can't wait to get back to school and lay this on my cooperating teacher!!

I really would appreciate some feedback and ideas from all subject areas on this. Thanks, to all the "gang" of MTE's for sharing "stuff" not just in blogs but all year in class. I will miss seeing everyone. (will not miss driving every other week, transporting my home office to campus, or homework, but will miss the interaction and inspiration)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie, that sounds like a great cooperative learning activity. It really does have some great cross-curricular potential. You could incorporate science by using part of study that promotes adolescent health. Also I definitely see math working great. Graphs and charts are an excellent way to relay and emphasize results of studies. Artists could make that type of information much more appealing to a larger audience too.

    I also agree with you that feedback and resources that have been brought to the table by our peers have been a very rewarding part of this program. It was a bummer being so far away and missing out on some of that. Blogging has been an interesting experience that I have enjoying more than I thought I would. Take care and see you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie - you're so inspiring! I'm so excited that you see art is beyond the canvass (that's why I'm willing to drive Rachel out to John Day!!). Here is a link of a guy who talks about the combining the beauty of art and science. It's way beyond anything that can be done at the high school level, but it is so beautiful and awe inspiring, I thought you'd like to see it too.

    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/david_bolinsky_animates_a_cell.html

    Using the concepts of art to create computer generated images that teach and amaze is such a gift in our technological age. I can't wait to see where your ideas take you and your students. Keep me updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy and Lisa, for your feedback. I avoid things like charts and graphs, but they are a big part of what graphic designers do. I have students who are interested in graphic design, but I don't think they really know how that world spins. So if I could get them some hands on here in high school, they would understand better what it means. And Lisa, thanks for the link, I will check that out before I go to bed, I hope. I have been checking out your science assessment wiki. It looks great. I am struggling to put ours together, none of the instructions are clear about how to navigate or edit. Plus my satellite internet is so much slower when the weather is bad, it makes me crazy. Ah, well. Have a great spring term, keep in touch. You too, Amy. Enjoy your little one, as I am sure you can see, he will not be that way long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wrong with a poster project? Actually you have some good ideas that could improve this old idea. From a cultural point of view maybe students could look at a piece of art and analyze its influences. They may find sexism, racism, classism, etc... Then maybe you could have them make a new version, in poster form, that is reflective of our more egalitarian and multicultural modern world. Working in groups would give them more ideas to draw from and more motivation to create an interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Idea! Revamping and updating some famous art. Like the Guerilla Girls did. Nothing wrong with posters, I just worry that students have done so many, that they have a template in their head of how to do them. So coming at if from a different angle and giving it a new label would freshen it up a bit, maybe. Forward thinking.

    ReplyDelete