Tuesday, March 3, 2009


March 3, 2009
Currently my high school students are working on completing their entries in the Junior Duck Stamp Competition. This is a required project for them, and some are struggling with the issue of motivation. After discussing with them how they think the process of creating this work will benefit them in different ways, I got the sense that perhaps it wasn't so much lack of motivation as it was lack of direction that was slowing them down.

Some artists are inspired by images, and some are inspired by methods and media. There are lots of other inspirations, but looking to these two to start was a beginning. I wasn't seeing much enthusiasm from the students looking at photographs of different species of ducks, geese, and swans. We are looking at a pretty tight schedule here, so I thought maybe the next step might be to get them to commit to a media, and get them thinking about that. I had one-on-one conversations with each student last week, but couldn't get a commitment any better than "I think I might do pastel, but not sure." So after some more sketching days, I had a casual critique session where each student stood up and talked about how he or she would proceed on their work. Then there was a comment opportunity where all others could give support or suggestions.

I believe that stimulated their thinking and got them to make a commitment on medium and design. I guess you would call it peer pressure, but in a positive way. It wouldn't be truthful to tell you they are all on fire now and can't wait to make duck art. But 95% of these students made significant progress in the last class period.

4 comments:

  1. OOOHHH - I like the idea of a "casual critique session." I wonder if that could work in a science classroom somehow? I have been doing some research on my personal classroom management style since I haven't seen it directley addressed in any of our texts or discussions. I have discovered that I use relationships to manage my classes. The research papers I've been reading are fairly recent but legit. I am a relational person and I try to make connections with each individual student. Friendly but not friends; motherly but not mom; teacher but not dictator. I also use the relationships they have with each other to "manage" my classes. I guess it seems like manipulation is probably a more correct term, but it sounds bad. :+) Anyway, I agree with you that using peer pressure to get students to respond to a lesson in a positive way is effective, engages students, and makes things easier on you. If you can sell them on why they need to do what you want them to do and they feel like they have some control over it, I think you'll be very successful in management and will be an effective teacher. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good idea, gives the studnets fresh ideas and perspectives on the issue. I was never...well motivated. i didnt know what to do in art class, and nothing ever turned out as AWESOME as it was in my head...which was discouraging to say the least! i think that it is good that you are requireing them to participate in the duck stamp contest, it is fun and people like me simply would not have done it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just seems that having input from someone other than the teacher is really valuable to the students, and if I don't make it a critique, they may not really engage in suggestions to others. Taking your eyes off your own art for a few minutes and looking at others' work is always a good thing. I often make the kids get up, move around, and observe what everyone else is doing. Then while they are up, they have to look at their own work from a distance, and sometimes I make them look at it upside down (the work, not the student) as that can help them spot things they won't see from arms length.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the part about it not being as awesome as you wanted it to be.......every work of art is about the process. One piece can give you inspiration to make another one that might be awesome. It is always ongoing. And here is a secret about that attitude. If you work on your art as sort of an experiment to see "what if" I did this or that, instead of "how can I make it perfect?" you usually make fresher, looser, better looking art. And it is more fun :o)

    ReplyDelete