Monday, March 16, 2009

Student Artists' perspective vs. Art Teacher Perspective

The student show comes down tomorrow at EOU. I slipped over there one day during the PE Health thing at lunch and took some photos of my students' art hanging at Loso Hall. I was excited to show the kids how their work looked in a real art show, but they really weren't in to it, and mostly looked at it, it seemed, to be polite. They were off on their current project.

There I go again, thinking that my students have the same attitude about art that I do. Silly me. There are a few who get on fire about their art, but at that age, it is easy to have the fire die out when the project is over, and there are so many other things to be on fire over when you are in high school.

So I just enjoyed looking at how nice all the work looked hanging on that white gallery wall. I know how hard it is later on as a professional artist, sometimes, to get on those white walls. So, looking at it from that perspective, it seemed huge to me that the students were "hanging." But I suppose it was no different than a ball game or a track meet or a mock trial. And that is great!! I am pleased that students have so many opportunities to experience various competitions in so many areas. But this is my first student show, and it will always be a "benchmark" for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment