Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ineffective anticipatory activity

Tyler had a blog post talking about it being hard to find strategies that didn't work or weren't effective. (I am guessing for question # 4 on the Literacy Final.) His take on it was that it was more how you applied and implemented the strategies than the strategies themselves. I think he is right on.
While working on the Literacy Final, I jumped on a strategy described in the book that used quick writes, 3 way interview, and found poems. Aha! This would never work in art, way too verbal, I thought. But when I thought it through, I actually used it for the example of what I would use. There would be some great ideas for art if students went through their quick writes and underlined the important words and phrases, used them for found poems, and took those ideas to visual interpretations. And the three way interview would have them saying and listening to ideas to and from other students. More chances for inspiration, and some literacy thrown in for good measure.
Coming up with strategies is not that hard if you look at what others have done, and imagine tweaking possibilities. Substitute art terms for vocabulary, and artist for author, and the creative juices start flowing!!

2 comments:

  1. Along with implementing strategies within the classroom, class dynamics plays a big role as well as. What works for one class may not work for another. Learning the limits of group and class dynamic is challenging especially with student teaching. For instance, in my A-placement, I had two art 7 classes that were learning color theory. In reviewing color concepts, I drew two color wheels on the board and split the class in two where the two groups lined up behind a color wheel. One at time, students filled in the color wheel, named complimentary colors, primary colors and analogous color as quickly as they could. Where the first class loved this activity, the second class didn't care for it much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth? I had a class with seven students that rarely ever spoke. Class discussion was filled with excruciating silence. The same strategies that had an earlier, livlier class laughing and talking and all engaged fell completely flat with the other. And it amazes me how adding one student or having one transfer out can completely change those dyanmics.

    ReplyDelete