Monday, March 16, 2009

Let them teach you

I had my fifth graders teach me all the classroom rules quickly today. The peace sign means just that, a peaceful classroom. It works, and takes less than 20 seconds for everyone to get quiet.

I had them split into groups to illustrate a silly poem about the old woman who swallowed a fly. We talked about points of view, and how to look at and draw from perspectives other than their own. So I have groups of flies, spiders, birds, cats, dogs, cows and horses, all brainstorming about how to illustrate the poem from their own (fly or spider, etc) point of view. The only crying and whining was when I assigned the groups instead of letting them be with their cronies. One group couldn't even seem to sit down next to each other to work, they were so far out of their comfort level. But that is part of what the project is about, thinking about and dealing with others' perspectives. So Wednesday I will get to see what is inside their heads, and if they are able to deal with the group dynamics.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun...something I can even do in my own class! Buhahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One boy raised his hand while I was talking about the process and forms illustration can take besides just drawing a picture, and asked, "Are we going to do anything today? Like art?" Without missing a beat, I said, "we are going to talk a lot and art a little. First we are going to brainstorm." He wilted in his seat from boredom, but revived later when he got to be in the bird group. You never have to worry about how you are doing with this age. Excited and chatty or hanging limply over the edges of their desks are the choices. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete