Monday, March 9, 2009

Here is a thought provoking site that gives some questions for teachers to ask about their teaching, their program, and their effectiveness. It is written for art programs, but the questions are about broad concepts narrowed down to the art area. Sort of like backward design, but evaluative.

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/artsed/g8arts_ed/g8evlae.html

This next site is "chock full 'o info" for art teachers, and people who may be interested in the value of art in education.

http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/arts/front_arts.htm

Here is an excerpt from the site:

The Arts are Nice, But . . .

by Stephanie Perrin

The study of the arts supports a view of the world that is idealistic, and strives for higher meaning. This is an essential quality for citizens of the 21st century to have. Further, since artists have to work so hard to become accomplished, they know that ideals are hard to reach and are meaningful only if acted upon.
If you have any "extra time" this is really a great site.

Art teaching sometimes is just monitoring and chasing hands, no matter what you do. There comes a time in a project when the students are in the process, and all headed in different directions on the same assignment. Today was that way. I just cruise the room and check out the progress. Students that are sailing along get a "that is working, or good decision there." Those who need help ask, and those who are indecisive get some suggestions. That is the only strategy I can share today.
I wish I could have gotten the fire lit sooner under some of the procrastinators, but we all have different styles of working through the creative process. But as I mentioned earlier, sometimes "artistic types" catch fire only when the deadline is imminent. I am one of those, so I don't come down on the kids very hard for it. I just try to help them come up with ways to get started sooner.
The lesson to learn for a teacher is to way overestimate the amount of time a project is going to take. Not only do you have to double or triple how long it should take because the class periods are short, but you have four "get out and get ready times" and "four clean up and put away times" a week, per class. Ideally a two hour studio block gives time to really get into it. Unfortunately, high schools don't have that type of schedule.

PLEASE THINK ABOUT GOING TO THE EOU ART SHOW AT LOSO HALL THIS WEEK!! 11-4 DAILY

2 comments:

  1. I have thought about how for science and art it would be nice to have extra long classes, but in spanish it would not be nice. I know that in Elgin they have two hour classes for one period two days a week. This gives the opportunity for science and another class to do more project or lab bases classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they have an art program there? And does it get the long class periods? I could see that two hours of Spanish might wear everyone out. It would me, since I am one of the dummies when it comes to Spanish. I wish I had taken a language years ago. Maybe when I have some time......

    ReplyDelete